Using the Library
The TU Wien University Library is a public library open to university staff, students and members of the public (above 14 years of age).
The facilities of the University Library are provided for the benefit of the whole university.
Library Rules and Regulations are on display at the Library and available on our website:
Use of the Library is subject to the rules and regulations. Please respect the needs of other users of the library:
- Food and drink is forbidden except in the coffee area on the ground floor.
- Smoking and the use of matches and open lights are forbidden in the Library.
- Do not use mobile phones in the reading rooms and study areas.
- Bags, cases, outdoor clothes, parcels, umbrellas and the like may not be brought into the Library (lockers are available on the ground floor).
- Take care of books, journals, and other library property and equipment.
- Look after your personal property, particularly laptops. Thieves are always around, so keep valuable items with you at all times. No responsibility is taken for patrons' property, which is brought into the building entirely at the owner’s risk.
- If you have group project work to do, use the group study area on the 5th floor of the Main Library. All other open study areas are for silent study only.
- Leave the library promptly at closing time. Advance warning of closure is given over the tannoy.
- Animals may not be brought into the Library, other than guide dogs for the blind.
- Do not reserve desks in the library for more than 30 minutes ( > how to reserve a desk).
Main Library and department libraries
The Library is spread over several sites:
- The Main Library
- The Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library
- The Urban Design Library
- The Mathematics and Physics Journals Collection
- List of all library locations including Institutes
Enquiries and information
Borrowing and returning
Catalogues and collections
The digital library
Inter-Library Loans: Obtaining books or articles from other libraries
Open access publishing support
ReposiTUm - institutional repository of the TU Wien
Vision Impaired Persons Support
Most of the printed works (books, journals) are kept on open access shelves in the Library's reading rooms. Materials on the open shelves are arranged according to the Library's TU Wien Classification.
Older books, old volumes of journals and special collections such as rare books and offprints are on closed access in the Library's stack rooms.
Books on closed access will be fetched by staff on request at set times (on the full hour during staffed opening hours).
Books that are for loan are issued at the circulation desk (Leihstelle).
Books and journals that are not for loan are issued at the stack requests desk (Bestellschalter) on the first floor of the Main Library and may be used on Library premises only, during staffed opening hours.
Scanning, Copying and Printing
The Library provides book scanners in the reading rooms for the use of patrons.
Scanning (to USB drive) is free of charge, but please keep copyright restrictions in mind: You may use a scanner to copy for non-commercial research or private study under certain limited conditions. You should only scan for your own private use and you may not make your scanned copy available to other people (for example, by including it in a PowerPoint presentation or on a web site).
Copying (paper original to printed copy)
The A2 book scanner on the Library's first floor is connected to a printer. Instead of scanning to a USB drive, you have the option of printing the scans at a cost of € 0.10 per page.
Printing (digital file to printed copy)
This service is not provided by the Library. However, you can print your files next door at Grafisches Zentrum (Freihaus, red area) or across the road at DieKopie Digidruck copy shop (Wiedner Haupststrasse 5).
Users must comply with the provisions of any relevant legislation such as laws relating to intellectual property rights including copyright and data protection.