Returning borrowed media is possible again
From 04 June 2020, the library will offer some opening hours for returning borrowed media.
Where can I return my borrowed media?
You can return borrowed media directly in the Main Library - note the special opening hours below.
How do I return my borrowed media?
From 04 June 2020, the lockers on the ground floor and in the basement of the Main Library will be used for returning borrowed books and other media. During the opening hours (see below), you can place your borrowed media in a locker, using your TUcard or your library card. In case of technical problems with the lockers, please place your returns in the specially marked returns basket.
Note that the wearing of masks to protect the mouth and nose (MNP masks) is mandatory in the library. Please note the current safety and security measures against COVID-19 infections applying to TU Wien.
Opening hours for returning media (from 04 June 2020):
Thursday and Friday, 09:00 - 15:00, at the Main Library lockers (ground floor and basement).
Note that the Library is closed on Thursday, 11 June 2020 (public holiday).
Paying fines: during the opening hours for returning borrowed media (see directly above) you will also have access to the pay station to pay any outstanding fines. This is at present the only payment option we can offer.
Returning borrowed media by post is possible from 04 June 2020 at your own risk. For details see §8 of our Library Regulations document (PDF)
Safety and protection measures against COVID-19 infections:
- A limited number of persons may be present at the same time in the returns area. Keep a safety distance of at least one metre to other persons.
- The wearing of masks to protect the mouth and nose (MNP masks) is mandatory
- The area will be cleaned regularly and surfaces that are regularly touched, such as the pay station, will be disinfected.
- Returned media will be quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours in the lockers.
TU Wien students can borrow books again
From 08 June 2020, all students of TU Wien can request media online.
Book loans to TU Wien students and doctoral candidates:
Textbook Collection: From Monday, 04 May 2020, TU Wien students can request textbooks from the textbook collections of the Main Library and the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library online on CatalogPlus with their library account. Note that the books will be sent to you by post, you cannot pick them up at the library at the moment.
Other books: From Monday, 11 May 2020, TU Wien students writing their thesis and doctoral candidates can request books from the open access shelving and from the closed stacks of the Main Library and the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library online on CatalogPlus with their library account. Note that the books will be sent to you by post, you cannot pick them up at the library.
Expanded loans services for TU Wien students from 08 June 2020:
From Monday, 08 June 2020, all students of TUWien can request textbooks, books from the open access shelving, and books from the closed stacks of the Main Library and of the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library online on CatalogPlus with their library account. Note that the books will be sent to you by post while there is no access to the library.
This service requires your address and contact data from TISS to be passed on to Österreichische Post AG.
How to request books for postal delivery from the library:
- Important: Check your delivery address in TISS and if necessary change it to your present residence. Your requested books will be sent to this address. Note that postal delivery of books is only possible within Austria. Österreichische Post AG will email your TISS email address with the shipment notification. TU Wien Bibliothek is paying the shipping costs at present. If the shipment cannot be delivered or is not collected from your post office, your library account will be suspended and you cannot place any further requests. The Library will NOT pay the costs of any return shipments or costs arising from failed delivery. You are liable for any return postage costs.
Data protection information for this service: For shipping books, the email address and delivery address (private address) from your TISS account will be entered into the IT portal of Österreichische Post AG. We have to pass on your email address to enable consignment tracking. Your data will be held in Österreichische Post AG's IT portal for a maximum of 6 months. After expiry of this period, your data will be deleted from Österreichische Post AG's IT portal.
- Are you a TU Wien student? From 08 June 2020, you can request books from the textbook collection, the closed stacks and the open access shelving of the Library on Catalogplus with your library account. To activate your library account, go to your TISS account and accept the library rules as described here: https://www.ub.tuwien.ac.at/eng/entlehnausweis_eng.html
- Are you a TU Wien student working on your thesis? In this case, you can request books from the Library's open access shelves and the closed stacks on CatalogPlus with your library account from 11 May 2020. If you cannot request books online despite belonging to this group, your thesis supervisor can contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will enable requests for you.
- Please request a maximum of 5 books a week, placing your requests at the same time to keep postal/shipping costs down. You can have up to 30 media on loan at a time. If you require more than 30 media simultaneously, your thesis superviser can contact us at email@example.com.
- You can only borrow media that are loanable (they do not have a "not loanable" policy). You will find the item policy in the Locations/GetIt tab on CatalogPlus, and some general information is included in our rules and regulations. If the library holds both an electronic and a printed version of a title, the printed version cannot be borrowed at the moment. Check this beforehand and if there is an ebook (i.e. it has a "ViewIt" tab in CatalogPlus), do not request the printed version.
- Now you are ready to go: Sign in to your library account on CatalogPlus and request your books in the "Locations/GetIt" tab.
- Any problems? If you still have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Loans for all library users:
From the beginning of July, we expect that borrowing media in the library will be possible again for all library users. We will post details here as soon as possible.
PressReader: read newspapers and magazines online
The Library has arranged a trial access until 16 June 2020 to the "PressReader" online press portal containing 7000 newspapers and magazines from 120 countries.
TU Wien students and staff have access from home via VPN. For access to electronic full texts, select "2_All tunneled" during VPN login!
Besides Austrian, German-language and international newspapers and magazines, PressReader includes some well-known titles in the categories "Computers and Technology" and "Design" that have long been available at TU Wien Bibliothek's main library or the TU Wien institutes in print form.
With daily updates and access to the archive, PressReader can be used on different devices. To use the app, you have to register. Your PressReader user account offers additional services such as bookmarks, news feeds, a comment function etc.
If you have any questions or comments on this trial access, please email email@example.com.
Remote access to e-media from home
For the duration of the corona crisis, the default settings of TU AnyConnect VPN have been changed. The default login setting is now "1_ TU tunneled".
For access to electronic full texts, select "2_All tunneled" during VPN login!
More information on remote access, such as who can read licensed full texts and how to set up TU VPN services, see: How to access e-resources from outside the TU campus
For a step-by-step guide to finding and reading electronic full texts in CatalogPlus, see the following PDF: How to search for electronic ressources and ebooks in CatalogPlus
Services for TU Wien institutes and staff from May 2020
From May 2020, loans, inter-library loans and book acquisitions for institutes and staff of TU Wien will be resumed in stages.
Book loans: From Monday, 11 May 2020, TU Wien staff can request books from the open access areas and closed stacks of the Main Library and the Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library online on CatalogPlus with their library accounts.
The books will be addressed to your institute address and deposited for collection at the Freihaus or Getreidemarkt porters' lodges; postal delivery to your private address is not possible. To collect the books, you will need to present your TUcard or another photo identification. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inter-library loans and document delivery:
Library staff will only be present on some days. Scanning printed resources for institutes is therefore not possible at the moment; we plan to resume this service in June. Inter-library requests for books and articles will be processed starting from the middle of May. From June, you will be able to collect your requested books and articles at the porters' lodges of Freihaus or Getreidemarkt upon presentation of your TUcard. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Books that are urgently needed at the institutes, and cannot be made available as ebooks, will be acquired from May and deposited for collection at the porters' lodges of Freihaus or Getreidemarkt. Our staff will not work on these books daily but in a biweekly rhythm. You will be emailed by us when books are ready for collection. Any member of your institute can collect the books, upon presentation of their TUcard at the porter's lodge.
Please note that we are still focussing on acquiring ebooks where possible. Orders can be placed as usual via TISS. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expanded access to ebooks, ejournals and course materials
Many publishers are offering access to some of their content and course materials free of charge for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
TU Wien students and staff can use these materials from home using VPN connections. During VPN login, choose option "2_All tunneled".
The following content is currently available in addition to the Library's usual wide range of e-resources:
- Annual Reviews: free access to all ejournals, until 15 June 2020
- Art & Architecture Source: EBSCO database with full texts, until 22 July 2020
- De Gruyter: 75 000 DRM free eBooks from different scientific fields, until 30 June 2020
- Elsevier ScienceDirect Textbooks: free access to textbooks, until 19 June 2020
- IEEE Courses: Online course materials, until 30 June 2020
- IRIS: AI-supported information system for Corona research - Information on the trial access
- JoVE Education: Online course materials, until 15 June 2020
- JSTOR: access to all JSTOR Journals archives and around 25.000 ebooks, until 30 June 2020
- Now Publishers Foundations & Trends: around 525 ebooks IEEEXplore, until 30 June 2020
- Pidgeon Digital: Audiovisual collection of talks by contemporary architects, until 30 June 2020
- PressReader: Online press portal containing more than 7000 newspapers and magazines, until 16 June 2020
- Project Muse: free access to ebooks and ejournals from the humanities and social sciences published by various university presses
- Proquest: Coronavirus Research Database - database of full-text content covering all facets of COVID-19 and related infectious diseases
- SpringerLink: free access to essential textbooks from various disciplines – at least until 31 July 2020
- Springer Nature’s ebooks (via SpringerLink) – at least until 31 July 2020
- World Scientific: all ejournals content from 2001, until 30 June 2020
For an overview of further offers see the University Information Policy Officers' Vendor Love in the Time of COVID-19, © 2020, available at https://tinyurl.com/vendorsupportedaccess
If you need access to additional pubishers' materials activated for the TU Wien campus, or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Coronavirus: Library closed from 11 March 2020
All lecture halls, study rooms and libraries at TU Wien are closed from Wednesday, 11 March 2020:
TU Wien Bibliothek (Main Library and Chemistry and Engineering Library) is therefore also closed.
- Loans with loan periods ending after 11 March 2020 will be renewed automatically by the library. Please also check your library account.
- From the beginning of May 2020, the Library will restart book loans in stages for some groups of library users. [more]
- From May 2020, loans, inter-library loans and book acquisitions for institutes and staff of TU Wien will be resumed in stages.[more]
- Our telephones cannot be answered at present, please email us with any enquiries.
- Please do not return loaned items by postal mail.
At present, TU Wien Bibliothek can only acquire ebooks and electronic materials for our students, teaching staff and researchers.
- For access to electronic full texts, select "2_All tunneled" during VPN login!
We hope to be able to resume normal services as soon as possible.
We apologise for any inconvenience!
JoVE Education: Free access during COVID-19
JoVE makes and publishes videos of scientific experiments from the top laboratories around the globe for advancing research and science education.
Educators and students use the video collections in the JoVE Science Education Library to teach and learn key concepts and fundamental techniques at the undergraduate course level.
These simple, easy-to-understand video demonstrations cover a wide range of STEM subjects including Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Psychology, Clinical Medicine and Engineering.
As many colleges and universities are making the difficult decision to move to remote teaching and learning models, JoVE is providing all of their Education video content free to use in STEM teaching efforts through June 15th.
Access on the TU Wien campus should be possible from 20.03.2020 until 15 June 2020 at:
We should like to remind our patrons that access to and use of the Library's subscription-based electronic resources (databases, electronic journals, and other electronic material) are subject to contractual agreements and licences with vendors, which impose restrictions on use.
New charges for late returns
From February 01, 2018, the library is applying new charges for the late return of borrowed items as specified in the new Scale of Fees document.
The new fines are: € 4.00 per overdue reminder per overdue item. Reminders are sent when items are overdue by 14 days, 28 days and 32 days.
To avoid fines, please take care to return your borrowed books or other items in time, or renew the loan on the online catalogue or by telephone (+43-1-58801-44061).